Saturday, March 17, 2012

Why Trans and Godless?

I have a lot of "strikes" against me in the American world.  I'm a transsexual woman, I'm bisexual, I'm a feminist and I'm an atheist.  This doesn't sum up my entire existence of course, I'm also a student, a daughter, a sister, a girlfriend, a mentor and much more in my interactions with society, but my "controversial" aspects are also what drive many of my actions in making this world a better place.  Why?  Because when I was a baby trans girl trying to make sense of my reality I was constantly held back by religion and magical thinking.  Because I've seen what a difference living in the right gender for someone can make in their lives as well as experienced it myself.  Because a life freed from guilt, shame and irrationality is a life worth fighting for.

Now just because I'm trans and godless doesn't mean other trans people can't be theist.  I'm not an anti-theist but I am against many aspects held dear by the theist world.  I refuse to believe in anything without evidence because what can be presented without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.  I do not respect any position which creates "lesser" human beings, regardless of culture or scripture.  I will fight attempts to force beliefs onto others through law or policy.  If you don't like gay marriage or abortion, don't marry someone of the same sex or get an abortion.  If you don't eat bacon because of your religion, don't eat bacon.  My personal choices are none of your business and are not a violation of your "religious freedom".  You keep your religion out of my government and I'll keep my government out of your church.

On the other hand, if your church or religion gives you peace and allows you to sympathize with all your fellow human beings, more power to you.  If believing in a zombie savior who walks on water helps you act like a better person than who am I to take that away from you?  I'm not in the business of "converting" people because I can't stand when theists do the same thing.

I believe love knows no gender.  I believe we all are searching for our own "inner truth".  I believe every human being has worth.  I believe in protected speech, regardless of whether I agree with it or not.  I believe logical thinking and evidence are the best ways to embrace our reality.  I believe in helping our fellow human beings and providing what we can to those in need.  I believe a secular world protects all belief systems, not just atheists.  I believe the universe is an amazing, unfathomable and wonderous place where the smallest subatomic particle to the stars and planets and every living thing on them are all interconnected in a way that is so much more magical than any supernatural explanation.  Whether we're gay, bi, trans, cis, theist, atheist, liberal or conservative, we are all made of star stuff.  That's why I'm trans and godless, because I intend to live my short, precious life to the fullest and fight to protect and help those who come after me.

1 comment:

  1. Love love love this post!

    Just found this blog and am in the process of catching up.

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete